Back You are here: Home Heritage Properties

Heritage


View Heritage Properties in a larger map
Legend
  • blue pin = designated heritage property
  • red pin = significant heritage property
  • green pin = Heritage Survey 2009 property

Heritage Survey 2009

OSHP_Heritage_Survey_2009Old Ottawa South has a rich and varied array of built heritage and associated places including 7 individual properties designated for protection under the Ontario Heritage Act. A number of other buildings and properties are well known landmarks, and several streetscapes clearly evoke specific periods of building styles, such as Echo Drive, Euclid Avenue and Belmont Avenue near Fairbairn Avenue. In 2009 the Ottawa South History Project undertook a Heritage Survey to further our shared understanding of the heritage stock in Old Ottawa South.

Read more...

Jarman House - 834 Colonel By Dr

Property

Title: 834 Colonel By Drive

Address: 834 Colonel By Drive (Plan 214 Lot 5 E Part lot 3.)

Introduction

The home located at 834 Colonel By Drive was built in 1908 by Frank Jarman, an art dealer.1 Beginning from the time of its construction, it has been home to many prominent residents of Old Ottawa South, including Frank Jarman, a framer and art dealer, an intellectual property lawyer, and John Gleeson a manufacturer. It is a brick building based on a centre hall plan, and notable for being architect designed, making intentional use of classical architectural vocabulary, and for being a superior example of early twentieth-century Edwardian Classicism.

Read more...

Gorman House - 38 Euclid Ave

Property

Title: 38 Euclid Avenue

Address: 38 Euclid Avenue (Lot 6, south side of Euclid Avenue)

Introduction

The house located at 38 Euclid Avenue was constructed in 1896-7 by Mary Gorman, a widow with six children. It is a modest, wood- framed and –clad house based on a side hall plan with a pitched roof and a front-facing gable end. The property remained in the ownership of Gorman’s descendents until 1971, serving as the childhood home of hockey player and entrepreneur, Tommy Gorman, from 1896 to c. 1908.1

Read more...

Belmont Avenue South Side

Property

Title: South Side Belmont Avenue Between Willard Street and Bellwood Street.

Address: 170, 172, 174, 176, 178, 180, 182, 184, 190 Belmont Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario.

Introduction

The block located between Willard and Bellwood Avenues in Old Ottawa South comprises a series of homes built between 1916 and 1930. All of the lots feature 1920s Prairie Style architecture, and are situated on intensely developed urban building lots. This street represents development in Old Ottawa South in the 1920s and the transition of the neighbourhood from a suburban to urban space.

Read more...

Evans House - 175 Belmont Ave

Property

Title: 175 Belmont Avenue

Address: 175 Belmont Avenue (Lot 17, north side of Belmont Avenue)

Introduction.

The house located at 175 Belmont Avenue in Ottawa, Ontario was constructed in 1898 by Elizabeth Evans, a widow with several children the oldest of which, Grace Evans, was a co-owner. It is a large 2 ½ story brick-veneered frame house with a side hall plan, front-facing gable, and pitched roof. It functioned as a rental property for the Evans family until Grace Evans’s death in 1965. The house is typical of middle class homes at the turn of the twentieth century. 1 At the time of its construction, a sister duplex was built for Elizabeth Evans at 183 Belmont which also functioned as a rental property providing income for the Evans family.

Read more...

Sunnyside and Seneca Four Corners

Property

Title: The Corner of Sunnyside Avenue and Seneca Street

Address: 431, 435, 437 Sunnyside Avenue and 41, 43, and 44 Seneca Street, Ottawa, Ontario.

Introduction

The corner of Sunnyside Avenue and Seneca Street currently comprises four buildings which combine commercial and domestic spaces. In the early period of Old Ottawa South’s development (pre-1950) this corner had particular importance as one on which Ottawa’s streetcars turned. It has continuously included commercial spaces since 1907.

Read more...