In the midst of reconstruction along Bank Street, a June 2003 OSCAR article featured pictures of Bank Street businesses from 1957, namely Cutts Motors on Bank Street at Chesley Street plus the Esso (White Rose) gas station on Bank Street at Aylmer Avenue.
In this announcement from the October 1978 OSCAR, Larry McDonald reports on a new name in the neighbourhood.
The Sunnyside branch of the Ottawa Public Library is one of the gems of our Old Ottawa South neighbourhood. Much loved and very well used by young and old, it has been in existence almost as long as the entire Ottawa library system itself, but of course it looked very different in the beginning.
- 1911 CENSUS DATA for Sub-District Ottawa South -
Data from Archives Canada (30 pages total, each page as one file, with 50 records maximum per page).
Data in both original (hand-written) format and transcribed format:
Note that a few fields of interest are missing from the transcription, such as address, occupation, religion, nationality.
However, here are summary stats for Ottawa South provided by Statistics Canada.
September 1947 marked the start of a new season at the Ottawa South Community Center, housed at Hopewell Avenue Public School. The recreation center's theme urged residents of Ottawa South to take a chance on 'Childhood Preferred' and invest in a boy or girl in order to get a great man or a great woman.
Ottawa South Invests in ‘Childhood Preferred’
Members of the Ottawa South Committee for Refugee Sponsorship (OSCRS) hosted a welcome party for brothers: Ali, Emad, and Ghassan on Saturday, September 9, 2017.
Joining them was their mother, Sawsan, and sister Sara. Sawsan beams, recollecting how much it means to have her three sons by her side. Based on her looks of pure joy, it’s easy to see how delighted she is to be with her sons again.
Old Time Stuff, by Earl G. Wilson, was a regular feature of the Ottawa Citizen for many years. This O.T.S. article transcribed here is from the Ottawa Citizen June 16, 1939.
Tells About Conditions In Ottawa South Back in 1909
Some of the people presently residing in that thickly populated section of Ottawa South west of the Bank street, between Sunnyside and Cameron, will hardly credit the statement that thirty years ago a road ran across country from the corner of Sunnyside and Seneca to Billings Bridge. This interesting fact is divulged by Mr. William Kippen, who has resided on Seneca street, near the corner of Sunnyside since 1909.
In the 1990s the burgeoning development of South Ottawa, in areas such as Hunt Club and Greenboro, triggered a move to distinguish Ottawa South from other parts of the the city by changing the neighbourhood name to 'Old Ottawa South'.